“9) The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10) I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.”
“Blessed is the man that trusts in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.”
“10) To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ear is uncircumcised and they cannot hearken; behold, the word of the Lord is unto them a reproach; they have no delight in it.
11) Therefore I am full of the fury of the Lord; I am weary with holding in. “I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together; for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days.
12) And their houses shall be turned unto others, with their fields and wives together; for I will stretch out My hand upon the inhabitants of the land,” saith the Lord.
13) “For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them, every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest, every one dealeth falsely.
14) They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of My people slightingly, saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ when there is no peace.
15) Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? Nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush. Therefore they shall fall among them that fall; at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down,” saith the Lord.”
“4) Moreover you shall say unto them, Thus says the LORD; Shall they fall, and not arise? shall he turn away, and not return?
5) Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.
6) I listened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rushes into the battle.
7) Yes, the stork in the heaven knows her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD.
8) How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.
9) The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?”
“23) But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be My people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.
24) But they listened not, nor turned their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
25) Since the day that your fathers came forth out of the land of Egypt unto this day I have even sent unto you all My servants the prophets, daily rising up early and sending them:
26) Yet they listened not unto Me, nor turned their ear, but hardened their neck: they did worse than their fathers.
27) Therefore you shall speak all these words unto them; but they will not listen to you: you shall also call unto them; but they will not answer you.
28) But you shall say unto them, This is a nation that obeys not the voice of the LORD their God, nor receives correction: truth is perished, and is cut off from their mouth.”
“8) Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit.
9) Will ye steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense unto Baal, and walk after other gods whom ye know not;
10) And come and stand before Me in this house, which is called by My name, and say, We are delivered to do all these abominations?
11) Is this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, even I have seen it, says the LORD.”
“16) Thus says the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
17) Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken.”